The Aztec word for gold literally means ‘excrement of the gods’.
It’s sometimes expressed more poetically as ‘sweat of the sun’.
That is one of many new things I learnt at the Aztecs exhibit currently showing at the Melbourne Museum. It is a fantastic exhibit and if you’ve always been intrigued by the Aztecs then you will love every little artefact and nugget of information.
The Aztec Empire ruled what is now Mexico and Central America from 1325-1521. Remnants from the Aztec Empire still surface every day in Mexico City. Fascinating!
The Aztecs were conquered by Spain, and the region still speaks Spanish today and celebrates both cultures.
The exhibition is nearly over! It finishes on August 10th so,if you are planning on seeing it, hurry up! Or you could win tickets right here. Keep scrolling.
Above: This guy is wearing the skin of another guy that he sacrificed to the gods. He would wear this skin for 20 days and then peel it off and emerge reborn and renewed. Lovely.
The exhibit is open from 10am – 5pm daily. Tickets are: adults $24, concession $16, children $12 with family passes and member’s discounts available.
- To win one of three double passes to see the amazing Aztecs exhibit, simply comment below.
- The winners will be chosen at random and emailed.
- The winners must reply with their postal address within 24 hours or another winner will be chosen.
- It will certainly help if you live in Melbourne or are planning on visiting before August 10th
- Entries close Monday July 21st at midnight AEST. Winner drawn on Tuesday and emailed that day.
- GOOD LUCK!